New Brunswick Tribune

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

OJ Simpson is a ‘completely free man,’ and his parole is set to end in Nevada

OJ Simpson is a "completely free man," and his parole is due to end

Key takeaways:

  • O.J. Simpson was given good behaviour credits after being acquitted of a California murder charge but convicted of armed robbery in Las Vegas.
  • In 1997, a California civil court jury found him liable for the deaths and ordered him to pay US$33.5 million to the victims’ families.

The former football hero and actor, who was acquitted of a California murder charge but convicted of armed robbery in Las Vegas, was granted good behavior credits and was released from parole on December 1, according to Nevada State Police spokeswoman Kim Yoko Smith.

“Mr. Simpson is a completely free man now,” Simpson’s lawyer in Las Vegas, Malcolm LaVergne, said.

According to LaVergne, Simpson declined an immediate interview, and the attorney refused to discuss Simpson’s plans, including whether he intends to stay in Nevada.

Before his release from prison on October 1, 2017, Simpson told parole officials that he intended to move to Florida.

Instead, he relocated to a gated community in Las Vegas, where he plays golf and frequently tweets about college and professional sports, particularly football.

Also read: Although Mount A cancels in-person tests, UNB and STU continue to offer

In a June 2019 interview with The Associated Press, he said, “Life is fine.”

According to one of Simpson’s Las Vegas trial lawyers, his saga has made him “one of the most famous people on the planet.”

He grew up in San Francisco’s public housing and went to the University of Southern California, where he won the Heisman Trophy for a best college football player in 1968. With the Buffalo Bills in 1973, he became the first running back to gain 2,000 yards in a season and was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. He worked as a movie actor, a rent-a-car salesman, and a football commentator.

In 1995, he was acquitted of the double slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman in what became known as “The Trial of the Century.”

Simpson was represented by a legal “Dream Team” that included the late Johnnie Cochran Jr. and F. Lee Bailey. The trial was the subject of gavel-to-gavel television coverage.

OJ Simpson is a "completely free man," and his parole is due to end
OJ Simpson is a “completely free man,” and his parole is due to end. Image from Lufkin Daily News

Simpson was sentenced by a jury in Las Vegas and sentenced to prison in a separate case more than a decade later for leading 5 men, along with two with guns, in a 2007 confrontation with two sports collectibles dealers in a cramped room at an off-strip Las Vegas casino hotel.

Following his acquittal in the double murders, Simpson claimed he only wanted to retrieve personal mementos and items stolen from him.

In 1997, a California civil court jury found him liable for the deaths and ordered him to pay US$33.5 million to the victims’ families.

Simpson was sentenced to nine years in prison in Nevada for armed robbery.

His parole was set to expire on September 29, 2022. Last summer, that date had been moved up to February 9 for good behavior. After a November 30 hearing, most of the Nevada Board of Parole granted his early discharge for good behavior, reducing his sentence by about three months.

In 2019, while on parole, Simpson sued a Las Vegas Strip hotel that had banned him two years before. He claimed that unnamed employees defamed him by saying he was drunk, disruptive, and unruly on a celebrity news website.

Simpson’s reputation had already been tarnished by his criminal and civil trials, as well as his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada, according to the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

The 2 sides reached an out-of-court settlement on March 31 that neither party revealed.

Simpson will also fight court orders that he owes at least US$60 million in judgments stemming from the 1994 killings, according to LaVergne.

Source: CTV News

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *