New Brunswick Tribune

N.B. reports four more COVID-19 deaths, as well as a new grant for self-employed

N.B. reports four more COVID-19 deaths, and a new incentive for self-employed

Key takeaways:

  • The COVID-19 winter plan’s Level 3 limits have resulted in a new New Brunswick award for self-employed business owners.
  • According to the organisation, which claims that 70% of its 8,000 members are self-employed, closing salons is “unfair and unjust.”

New Brunswick has established a new award for self-employed business owners affected by the COVID-19 winter plan’s Level 3 restrictions.

The funding will be a $2,000 one-time grant.

People who do not have workers but have been ordered to close are eligible for the Self-Employed Lockdown Fund.

In a press conference on Wednesday, Minister of Economic Development and Small Business Arlene Dunn said, “We’re always striving to improve any chances we have to promote small enterprises.”

Also read: Volunteers are needed in New Brunswick to help with the health-care system

This week, the province launched phase three of the Small Business Recovery Grant, which will provide up to $10,000 in relief to firms impacted by pandemic containment measures from December 2021 through March 2022. Businesses should have at least 2 full employees to enroll in this program.

Following that pronouncement, some small enterprises with one or no employees complained that the admission requirements remained excessively stringent.

Minister Dunn stated on Wednesday that it is critical to understand how the province works with the federal govt. The province looks at what federal programs are available to find any gaps.

“We’ve heard from a lot of small firms who are concerned that the federal government’s current support programs are insufficient,” Dunn explained.

She also feels that this new grant will help self-employed enterprises in addition to the federal government’s existing programs.

Businesses must meet the following conditions, according to a press release:

  • Be a New Brunswick-based company or organization with a physical presence in the province.
  • Before being ordered to close, the company was actively operating or conducting business.
  • Have a current and authorized CRA Business Number
  • Be in great standing with the provincial govt and the New Brunswick Corporate Registry.
  • Produce proof of a gross business income of further than $30,000 per year.

“We estimate that at least 2000 businesses will qualify for this program right now,” Dunn stated to the media.

The funding application period will begin on February 1st.

N.B. reports four more COVID-19 deaths, and a new incentive for self-employed
N.B. reports four more COVID-19 deaths, and a new incentive for self-employed. Image from This is Money

Dunn said she wants New Brunswickers to do everything to support local businesses in the coming months.

“Please place curbside orders, get takeout from your favorite restaurants, and thank them for sticking it out through these tough times,” she advised.

The Cosmetology Association of Latest Brunswick issued a statement shortly after the news conference, saying that the new announcement “falls short of supporting those in most desperate need,” referring to the $30,000 minimum salary threshold.

Shutting down salons is “unfair and unjust,” according to the organization, claiming that 70% of its 8,000 members are self-employed.

“We’d have been more than delighted to collaborate on an equitable solution if the minister had engaged with us before disclosing this funding, something we’ve demanded since last week,” the statement continued.

Source: Global News

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.