- On Monday, the province’s chief medical health officer announced 100 new COVID-19 cases and confirmed several Omicron variant cases.
- According to Health Minister Dorothy Shephard, there are 41 people in the hospital, with 14 in the intensive care unit and five on ventilators.
N.B.’s chief medical officer of health announced 100 new COVID-19 cases and confirmed several Omicron variant cases in the province on Monday, all of which she says are linked to the Antigonish, N.S., the outbreak at St. Francis Xavier University.
Two Omicron cases have previously been reported in Zone 7, one in Zone 1, and four other cases in these zones.
“This is concerning because we don’t know all of Omicron’s characteristics yet. At a press conference on Monday, Dr. Jennifer Russell said, “We must take precautions.” “This COVID-19 version is much more transferable than previous versions.”
According to Russell, the Omicron variant is 30% more transmissible than the Delta variant, the most common in New Brunswick.
“We don’t know whether (the Omicron version) will result in more severe or milder cases,” she explained.
As of Monday, the virus had claimed the lives of two people, and there were 1,048 active cases.
According to Health Minister Dorothy Shephard, there are 41 people in the hospital, with 14 in the intensive care unit and five on ventilators.
She claims that the COVID-19 booster vaccine will provide additional protection against Omicron, and she encourages eligible New Brunswickers over 50 to get it.
“I understand that the holiday season is approaching, and everyone is looking forward to spending time with their loved ones. “However, we must [be safe],” Shephard said.
New restrictions will be implemented.
Following the confirmation of Omicron variant cases in the province, Premier Blaine Higgs announced a slew of new measures.
He said that instead of next week, students in kindergarten through sixth grade will have their holiday break this Friday and that all sports and organized activities for children under the age of 12 have been suspended as of tonight.
According to Higgs, entertainment centers, such as movie theatres and casinos, will be required to operate at 50% capacity. Social distancing and proof of vaccination will be required in restaurants, spas, and businesses.
“We may require additional restrictions depending on how things change in our province in the coming days and weeks,” Higgs said. “We can’t afford to let our guard down right now.” We must maintain a laser-like focus and manage ourselves accordingly.”
Source: Global News
Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.