New Brunswick Tribune

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

As Christmas approaches, the province of New Brunswick urges caution

As the holidays approach, the province of New Brunswick urges caution.

Key takeaways:

  • On Thursday, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health urged people to limit their contacts as more cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 are expected in the province in the coming days.

As additional cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 are expected in the province in the coming days, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health continued to urge people to limit their contacts on Thursday.

The number of confirmed cases of the variant increased to 102 on Thursday, up from 82 the day before, and Dr. Jennifer Russell told Information Morning Fredericton that it’s only a matter of time before the province sees a surge in cases like other provinces have.

“There are a lot of surges worldwide and in Canada,” Russell said, referring to the 9,397 new cases reported in Quebec on Thursday. “We anticipate that here, anticipating it, and we hope that people keep their gatherings small.”

On Thursday, New Brunswick set a new record for COVID-19 cases with 257 new cases, bringing the total number of active cases to 1,563.

Also read: James Franco admits to sleeping with students and claims to be addicted to sex

Two people have died, one in the Saint John region, aged 50 to 59, and the other in the Edmundston region, aged 80 to 89. It brings the whole number of deaths in the province to 151.

There have been a total of 98 recoveries so far.

On Wednesday, the province surpassed 200 daily cases for the first time, with 237 cases reported.

According to Russell, new Brunswickers are being asked to stay within a 20-person bubble, but more restrictions may be imposed if hospitalizations reach 70 or 30 people admitted to the ICU.

When asked why the province is waiting until after Christmas, on Dec. 27, to ask households to stick to a smaller, more consistent bubble often, he said he doesn’t know. According to Russell, Public Health is attempting to balance reducing hospitalizations and safeguarding people’s mental health.

“We can act very quickly if there is an uptick and we start to see a surge in hospitalizations,” she said.

There are currently 39 people in hospitals, with 16 in intensive care and 12 on a ventilator. According to a press release from Public Health, none of those admitted to the hospital tested positive for the Omicron variant.

Twenty-five of those in the hospital is over the age of sixty. No one under the age of 19 is admitted to the hospital.

“Five of the 39 people admitted for other reasons contracted COVID-19 as a result of outbreaks at hospitals in Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, and Miramichi,” according to Public Health. “The majority of these people have mild to moderate symptoms.”

As the holidays approach, the province of New Brunswick urges caution.
As the holidays approach, the province of New Brunswick urges caution. Image from CBC

Those aged 20 to 29 have the highest number of new cases.

There were 63 cases reported among those aged 20 to 29, with 41 cases reported among those aged 40 to 49. Today’s cases included 36 children aged nine and under and 32 children aged ten to nineteen.

The new cases are organized as follows:

Zone 1 of the Moncton region

There are 39 cases in total.

Zone 2 of the Saint John region

There are 139 cases in total.

Zone 3 encompasses the Fredericton region.

There are 49 cases in total.

Zone 4 (Edmundston region)

There are 17 cases.

Zone 5 (Campbellton region)

two instances

Zone 6 encompasses the Bathurst region.

five instances

Zone 7 of the Miramichi region

six instances

Since the pandemic’s beginning, a total of 11,322 cases have been reported, with 9,606 people listed as having recovered from the virus.

To date, a total of 601,523 tests have been performed.

As of Thursday, 82.8 percent of eligible New Brunswickers had received their full COVID-19 vaccination, up from 82.7 percent, 89.8% had received their first dose, up from 89.7%, and 16.8% had received a booster dose, up from 15.6%, according to Public Health.

More than 19,000 appointments for children aged five to eleven have been scheduled, with 59,700 appointments for booster doses.

According to Public Health, since the province opened up booster doses for those working in long-term care facilities, hospitals, schools, and child-care facilities on Wednesday, nearly 4,000 appointments have been scheduled.

In the days heading up to Christmas and New Year’s Day, clinics will continue to accept walk-ins. On the gnb.ca website, you can find clinic hours and dates of operation.

Source: CBC News

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *