New Brunswick Tribune

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Registrations for children’s vaccines stream in, N.B. reports 87 new cases

Key takeaways:

  • COVID-19 has been detected in 87 new instances in New Brunswick, with almost 6,200 immunization appointments for children.
  • The Moncton Hospital has 16 inpatient units, with COVID-19 outbreaks affecting one-fourth of the hospital’s units.

On Wednesday, New Brunswick reported 87 new cases of COVID-19 and revealed that more than 6,200 vaccine appointments for children aged five to eleven had been made since bookings for that age range started the day before.

On Friday, the province will begin immunizing youngsters in that age bracket. The vaccination will first be accessible at regional health authority clinics but soon be available at partnering pharmacies and through select physicians.

“It’s fantastic to see so many appointments scheduled for the clinics, which begin on Friday across the province,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, the chief medical officer of health, in a statement. “This is a significant step in limiting the virus’s spread and protecting all New Brunswickers.”

Also read: The recent COVID-19 infection in South Korea has been traced to a small church

According to the province, 87.6% of New Brunswickers aged 12 and above have had their entire COVID-19 vaccination, with 93.5 receiving their first dose. According to the government, children will be added to those numbers beginning Monday, which might lead stated immunization rates to drop.

Since Tuesday, there have been 60 fresh recoveries, bringing the total number of active cases to 692.

Moncton Hospital’s Outbreaks

There are around 45 people in the hospital, with 19 of them in critical condition. According to the government, 11 of those hospitalized caught the virus due to continuous outbreaks at the Moncton Hospital.

According to Horizon Health Network, the outbreaks have affected a fourth unit at the Moncton Hospital, Unit 3600, the family medicine and palliative care unit.

There are outbreaks in three other units: the rehabilitation unit, the family practice, and geriatric unit, and also the stroke and family medicine unit.

In a statement, Horizon’s interim President and CEO, Dr. John Dornan, said, “Our staff and physicians have worked rapidly to care for patients with COVID-19, as well as to identify and isolate individuals who may have been exposed.” “We’re working hard and taking extra steps to keep COVID-19 from spreading in this plant.”

The Moncton Hospital has 16 inpatient units, with COVID-19 outbreaks affecting one-fourth of the hospital’s units. In addition, the hospital’s COVID-19 inpatient unit contains 21 COVID-19 patients, and its COVID-19 critical care unit has three COVID-19 patients (ICU).

N.B. begins to immunize high school teachers in first of 16 COVID-19  clinics

Details on outbreaks

TMH’s family medicine and palliative care unit (Unit 3600) has been declared a COVID-19 outbreak today. According to outbreak guidelines, this outbreak has been contained to one unit, which is currently under lockdown and according to outbreak guidelines.

This epidemic is distinct from the outbreaks that were announced earlier this week at TMH on the rehabilitation unit (Unit 4400), the family practice and geriatric unit (Unit 5100), and the stroke and family medicine unit (Unit 5200). (Unit 4600). There is a relationship between these three outbreaks.

As of 3 p.m. today, 20 patients and 4 staff members had tested positive for COVID-19 in the four epidemic units.

Horizon has taken the following proactive actions on all relevant outbreak units:

  • After declaring the outbreak, Horizon performed comprehensive Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) steps, including improved cleaning and contact tracing, to protect the health of patients and staff.
  • COVID-19 symptoms are checked on inpatients twice a day (every 12 hours).
  • Hospital workers and physicians will be subjected to increased screening.
  • This week, patient testing on epidemic units will continue, as will staff testing. We anticipate that more cases will be discovered during the coming week. Patients and employees from a second family medicine unit (5200) are being tested today as a precaution.
  • To reduce exposure to others, staff and patient movement in the impacted units have been altered.
  • Except for Palliative Care patients who fulfill a particular rating, Designated Support Persons (DSPs) have been temporarily suspended on outbreak units. Only essential DSPs (those involved in feeding or bathing patients, for example) are allowed on all other units.
  • Horizon has informed all impacted patients and loved ones about the outbreak, and staff is working hard to provide care and comfort to our patients during this time.
  • Horizon is also collaborating with Public Health and affected units to identify everyone who may have been exposed and is taking actions to safeguard the health of all employees, patients, and their families.

Source: Global News

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *