New Brunswick Tribune

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

N.B. Covid-19: outbreaks have been declared in 3 First Nations communities

Key takeaways:

  • The New Brunswick government has declared COVID-19 outbreaks in three First Nations in the Miramichi region.
  • COVID-19 cases have already been revealed by the community, with 9 cases being declared in September.

Three First Nations in the Miramichi region have been declared COVID-19 outbreaks by the New Brunswick government.

Public Health in Metepenagiag First Nation (Red Bank), Natoaganeg First Nation (Eel Ground), and Esgenoôpetitj First Nation discovered the outbreaks (Burnt Church).

Rapid outbreak teams from the province have been dispatched to assist the communities and expedite testing.

Eight of the cases were discovered in Esgenoôpetitj, four in Natoaganeg, and two in Metepenagiag.

According to Natoaganeg Chief George Ginnish, this is the first time their community has had many active cases.

Also read: CUPE members in NB will return to work as they voted on a tentative deal

People should remember that their area is still under circuit breaker measures, he added.

He explained, “Our villages are small and fragile.” “It makes sense to us to put in the extra effort in testing to ensure that the four examples are the only ones.”

“We believe it is confined and that everyone is isolating themselves and adhering to public health rules,” Metepenagiag Chief Bill Ward said in an interview.

The elementary school and daycare in the neighbourhood are both shuttered. After a cluster of three persons was ill, the school was closed for around two weeks.

Residents are also encouraged to stay in their families’ bubbles and prevent unnecessary travel.

He predicted that mass testing would be publicised soon.

The community has already disclosed COVID-19 cases, with nine being announced in September. However, according to Ward, the cluster was not designated as an outbreak at the time.

“I believe there are a lot more cases in Zone 7 this time than there were previously, and it’s growing every day,” he said.

“We’ve got the cases under control. When you say outbreak, people automatically assume it’s out of control and uncontrollable, but this isn’t the case. It’s just a proclamation that will be used to expand our offerings.”

According to Ginnish, similar safeguards are in place in Natoaganeg.

N.B. Covid-19: outbreaks have been declared in 3 First Nations communities.

New cases are broken down.

The 60 cases of COVID-19 were recorded in five health regions, with the Miramichi region having the highest concentration.

In addition, eighteen instances in people under the age of 19 were discovered.

The new cases are organised as follows:

Zone 1, Moncton, has 17 instances.

Fourteen instances are still being investigated, with three of them being contacts of cases that have already been confirmed.

Zone 2 of the Saint John region has 14 instances.

Six of the cases are previously confirmed cases, while the remaining eight are still being investigated.

Zone 3, Fredericton, has eight cases.

Six instances are being investigated, two of which are contacts of cases that have already been confirmed.

Three cases in the Bathurst region, Zone 6.

All three are still being investigated.

Zone 7, Miramichi region, 18 instances

Sixteen instances are being investigated, two of which are contacts of cases that have already been confirmed.

Source: CBC

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *