New Brunswick Tribune

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

CUPE members in NB will return to work as they voted on a tentative deal”

Key takeaways:

  • “Members will return to work as soon as possible,” the union said about 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
  • Members in seven CUPE locals will vote on a proposed pay package developed by CUPE leaders and the province. 

As per the Canadian Union of Public Employees, around 20,000 workers in New Brunswick will return to work when the union proposes a tentative agreement with the government to vote for their members.

Around 8:30 p.m. Saturday, the union said that “members will return to work as soon as possible.”

The message on CUPE New Brunswick’s website and Facebook page add, “There will be no pickets tomorrow [Sunday].”

This follows the most recent round of talks, which lasted until the early hours of Saturday morning.

Also read: Pulisic and McKennie thrive as the U.S defeats Mexico 2-0

For more than 2 weeks, thousands of public employees have been on strike, including school bus drivers, educational support personnel, workers in transportation, corrections, and the community college system.

Some healthcare support workers went on strike, but the province ordered them back to work after one week.

In a statement released Saturday evening, CUPE announced that locals 2745 and 1253 had reached an agreement on a proposed memorandum of understanding on pension plans, which had been a key bone of dispute.

New Brunswick CUPE members to return to work as they vote on tentative  agreement | CBC News

Members in seven CUPE locals will vote on a proposed pay package developed by CUPE leaders and the province. According to CUPE, the government agreed to make the package available to three other municipalities, including community college and WorkSafeNB staff.

Employees at N.B. Liquor is also concluding a tentative deal, according to the union. However, they will go on legal strike on Tuesday if no agreement is reached.

New Brunswick’s government also published a statement late Saturday night.

Details about the reopening of schools are being finalised, according to the statement, and will be announced on Sunday. Following the start of the strike, the province converted all schools to at-home learning and locked out certain education personnel.

According to the administration, both parties have agreed not to reveal the specifics of the agreements until they are confirmed.

Source: CBC

Get Canada and New Brunswick News’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on New Brunswick Tribune.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *